www.lexlooksatbooks.blogspot.comhttp://lexlooksatbooks.blogspot.co.uk/p/blog-page.htmlhttp://lexlooksatbooks.blogspot.co.uk/p/contact.html

Friday 10 November 2017

A Love Letter to Whiskey - Kandi Steiner Review



 
“It’s crazy how fast the buzz comes back after you’ve been sober for so long.
Whiskey stood there, on my doorstep, just like he had one year before. Except this time, there was no rain, no anger, no wedding invitation — it was just us.
It was just him — the old friend, the easy smile, the twisted solace wrapped in a glittering bottle.
It was just me — the alcoholic, pretending like I didn’t want to taste him, realizing too quickly that months of being clean didn’t make me crave him any less.
But we can’t start here. No, to tell this story right, we need to go back. Back to the beginning.
Back to the very first drop. This is my love letter to Whiskey. I only hope he reads it”

I’m so happy that I’ve finally got round to reading this; I’ve seen loads of booktubers and goodreads users rave about this book so I’ve been dying to get my hands on it and read it.

This follows the story of Brecks or ”B” and Jamie and begins with them in high school and follows them through their lives until they’re 30 years old. Even though you’re following them both through such a long period, the pacing was great; it didn’t feel like anything was missed or skipped over too quickly and it really felt like you had the whole story by the end of the book which is pretty impressive considering the time span.

It’s my first book from Kandi Steiner and it has only made me want to read more. Her writing was magical and flowed so well. I wasn’t bored at any point and it was just a great, fast, emotional read. I wanted to throw the book against a wall and tear it apart and then pick it up and carry on reading it – it’s a book that will drive you crazy and you’ll want to scream at the characters because of the decisions they make and that’s what makes this so damn good.

The characters also aren’t perfect; they have their problems and had emotions like real people. It wasn’t just Jamie either who was made out ot be the dick in all this like the men normally are, B had so many issues and at quite a few points, I thought she was a major dickhead and I wanted to just shout “WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!” at her though the pages! There was obvious chemistry between the two of them and also a lot of built up angst and sexual chemistry so if you don’t like angsty romances then you probably won’t like this. 

I do think I ‘ruined’ it for myself – Carol from ‘the readingwallflower’ posed her review on her goodreads and she ended up DNFing for a specific reason and I couldn’t get rid of this reasoning whilst I was reading it. And this is one of the main reasons I gave this 4 stars and not 5, because I had this in the back of my mind. I’m not going to post Carol’s review but you can find it here if you want to read it after you’ve read the book, you can find it here

I don’t want to say too much about the plot because I think the less you know going into this the better it will be. It definitely doesn’t detract from the plot as I knew nothing going into this and realy enjoyed this! If you’re a fan of angsty, emotional, romantic reads then you should definitely pick this up!

No comments:

Post a Comment